Friday, June 3, 2011

'Forget Me Not' Cold Case, Kanika Powell Murder Mystery


Kanika Powell's case is still a Prince George's County, Maryland, mystery.
Kanika Powell graduated from Largo High School in 1998 and enlisted in the Army two years later. She proudly served in Korea and, after her tour, returned to her home in Prince George’s County. Trying to figure out the next steps in her life, Kanika decided to take on a job as a security contractor at Hopkins laboratory. She was very private about the work she was doing for the laboratory and would sometimes travel for days at a time to handle work projects before returning home. Judy Powell, Kanika's mom, said she always knew where her daughter was going, but her daughter was not allowed to discuss what she was doing when she was on location.

Kanika lived alone in her garden-style apartment in Laurel, Maryland. On Saturday, August 22, 2008, she heard a knock at her door. Judy says Kanika told her she peeked through the hole and a man was holding up a badge claiming he was an FBI agent. Kanika wouldn’t open the door without seeing ID, and the mystery man left. She called 9-1-1 and police came to her apartment, but nothing was found. Judy says Kanika was planning to install a security system thereafter. The incident jarred her so much that she wrote this e-mail to share with her friends and family:

“I just wanted to share with you the scariest thing that happened to me this weekend. Saturday evening around seven pm a man was knocking at my door (as all of you may know I live alone). I asked who it was and he didn't answer, so once I got close to the door and looked out of the peephole I saw a male figure that was not familiar to me at all. I asked who he was and all he stated was that he was from the FBI and that he was looking for Kanika Powell.

"It freaked me out completely because this man knew my name. He held a shield up but no picture ID and he never gave his name. He told me he was looking for me in regards to an investigation. I told him that I had no idea as to what he was talking about and that he would need to show me documentation as well as a warrant of some sort. So he left and I looked out my bedroom window and saw him walking. I also heard a voice tell him to walk in the opposite direction. The whole situation was scary and seemed so false. So because of this incident not only did I get no sleep for the rest of the weekend but I am now trying to get an alarm system installed in my apartment. I had one in my old apartment, but I just hadn't had it transferred over to my new one. As far as everything that happened with the guy. I did call the FBI and they told me that it was more than likely bogus because they never come to your door by themselves and they always leave a card of some sort so that you can contact them. I called the local police as well to give them a description just in case someone is out there trying to rape or harm single woman... pass this on ladies. This is not a fake forward this happened to me, Kanika... Who knows who these guys are and what they are doing and in what areas other than mine.” 

A mere five days later, on August 27, 2008, Kanika had another knock at her door. It wasn’t an FBI agent this time, but someone claiming they had a package for her. Again, Kanika wouldn’t open the door, and a package was never left. The very next morning,  there was another knock at the door, the same routine, Kanika would not answer. Judy says the police were called again and an officer came out to speak with her, but again nothing was found.

After the police left, Kanika decided to leave to run errands. When she came back, the unknown person who had claimed to have the package was now waiting in the hallway. The suspect opened fire, shooting Kanika on the first landing of her apartment. She was transported to the hospital, but sadly Judy says her daughter never regained consciousness and died the next day.

Kanika would have turned 30 on January 31, 2010. She wasn’t married and didn’t have children, but her mother Judy says, “What makes her so remarkable was that she was a donor. I signed the papers and two people in the metropolitan area were able to receive her kidneys. We also donated some tissue and bone and her liver was donated to a research lab.” Let’s get justice for Judy and Kanika Powell’s family.

Police are asking anyone with information to call the county's Crime Solvers hotline at 866-411-TIPS (8477). Crimesolvers is offering a $25,000 reward in this case.

12 comments:

Dr. Gina Simmons said...

Such a sad story. It reminds us that we can't always rely on law enforcement for protection. She used good sense, but didn't have the right information at the right time to protect herself.

Anonymous said...

Jason Thomas Scott was killing women in this area around this time. He worked for UPS for nine years and used his computer data base at work to find and track victims. Law Enforcement should take a look at him for this crime. Here is an article about him.
http://www.gazette.net/stories/07272010/prinnew174417_32571.php

Anonymous said...

This case sounds really weird. If the fake FBI-agent(s) and packet delivery are connected to the murder the assailant has shown a blatant disregard for the possibility of being caught. Most would give up and never return after the first failed attempt. And the murder sounds like an execution - no sexual assault, nothing stolen, just the kill.

Normally I'm not prone to conspiracy theories but this could very well be one...

Anonymous said...

It does sound like an execution. This still could be Jason Thomas Scott, who might have been so angry about getting out-smarted that he decided he was going to kill her no matter what. If you look at his other crimes, he had a blantant disregard, took risks and hates women.

Diane LeBlanc said...

How scary ! She was doing everything right too . Poor baby ..her family will be in my thoughts and I hope they get the justice they deserve .

Katy England said...

This gives me chills. I hope justice can be done. But cold precision and persistence of the crime leaves me so cold.

A Voice of Sanity said...

Sure looks like a (so called) "professional hit" - but for who and why?

Aunt Delta D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Kanika was my friend, this still chills me to this day. She was a very liked person with no enemies. I look over my shoulder and around my neighborhood every day and night before going in my home. This could happen to anyone if it happened to her. PG police could have put an officer at her complex for a few days, but they didn't. I didn't use to be a proponent of guns, now I think everyone should have one to protect themselves.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Greenbelt at the time of this murder. I remember it. I have never forgotten Kanika Powell. I am glad to see that there are others who want to know what happened to Kanika.

Alicia C said...

I agree. She did work at Hopkins that she could not discuss with her mom. After her murder I hope police contacted her employer to find out what she did. Someone was stalking her, lying in wait. All of it sounds like it may have been a hit. But why?

Alicia C said...

Anonymous you may be on to something. Does anyone know if police questioned Thomas?