Sunday, November 6, 2011

Freedom of Speech, the McCanns, and Searching for Maddie

by Pat Brown

I have been getting a lot of questions about my search fund to be established with monies from the sale of my book, Profile of the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann. Some of the stuff certain folks are saying is seriously ridiculous, so I thought it best I make a clear statement with simple points they can understand.

1. I am not giving or receiving any monies from the McCanns' search fund.

2. At present, 50% of monies received from the sale of the Profile of the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann will go to the Pat Brown Maddie Search Fund. The other 50% earned from the book is income, not donations. I am selling a product and do not have to donate all earnings (or any) to charitable causes (however, I do pro bono work on other cases as there are OTHER missing and murdered children and adults than Madeleine in this world, so part of my earnings through any means funds this). I have chosen to donate 50% of the book's earnings to my Maddie search fund since she is the focus of this book.

3. The Pat Brown Maddie Search Fund monies will be not be spent on a personal salary (any time spent will be pro bono). Monies will be used for expenses related to doing a search: travel, equipment, hiring of local PIs, or bringing in experts.

4. If I can cover any search expenses by another other method (media, work in the same location, etc.), then I will do so. I always endeavor to always keep costs low when I do pro bono work so that the funds will stretch further: inexpensive hotels, staying with local people, cheap meals, etc.). If I choose to spend above the cheapest rate I can achieve, I pay out-of-pocket.

5. The Pat Brown Maddie Search Fund will be transparent with all monies earned on the book tracked, all monies put into the account tracked, and all monies spent tracked. A full account will be made to the public of everything associated with my fund and my searches.

6. The Pat Brown Maddie Search Fund has no connection with the McCanns' search fund and the McCanns have not given my fund any endorsement. However, it would seem to me if I search in previously untargeted places and either locate Madeleine or eliminate those possibilities, then the search is nothing but beneficial to the McCanns and is following in the spirit of "Leaving No Stone Unturned."

7. There are four theories as to what happened to Madeleine which influence how one searches for the child; whether one thinks she is dead or alive.

One:, the child died accidentally in the apartment in Praia da Luz and there was a cover-up; then we are looking for a dead child in Portugal, Spain, or England.

Two: a local pedophile abducted Madeleine; then we are looking for a dead child in Praia da Luz, Portugal or nearby.

Three: A woman wanted a little girl and got a man to kidnap Madeleine. Then we are looking for a live child somewhere in the world.

Four: A pedophile sex ring kidnapped Madeleine and she is being raped and abused on a continuing basis. Then we are looking for a live child somewhere in the world.

Now, as one only has limited funds (even the McCanns, although they have been quite hefty), it behooves one to put the strongest efforts into the most likely scenario. If the McCanns were not involved in any way (other than neglect) in the disappearance of their daughter, they ought to be using kindhearted people's donations in the most proper way; looking for a pedophile who abducted, raped and murdered their little girl, get him arrested and convicted so that Madeleine gets justice, and prevent another little girl from the same horrible fate. They should be putting a good portion of their search and investigative efforts into locating a local child sex predator.

Why? Because the methodology and descriptions of how Madeleine was supposedly kidnapped and by whom match a person from the area without even a vehicle to take her away in. There is zero evidence of any fancy plot nor even a person smart enough to park a vehicle in the car park right outside the window of Madeleine's bedroom in with which to make a quick getaway. Instead, we have the purported actions and descriptions of some creepy, not-so-bright fellow walking down the street with a child in his arms in full view of everyone. The chances of Madeleine being taken by a desperate wanna-be-Mom or a sex ring are minimal.

Should the McCanns still consider these rare possibilities and still look for a living Madeleine? Well, I can't blame the McCanns (if innocent) for wanting to believe their daughter is alive, so I can understand and accept that they want to put some efforts into that miracle possibility. However, they should be honest enough and good enough stewards of donated monies I(if innocent) to admit the likelihood of Madeleine being dead is very, very high and the likelihood of her being buried somewhere in Praia da Luz or environs is also very, very high. Their efforts should be concentrated there, with some monies set aside for the miracle.

So, I will be focusing on the two top theories; that Madeleine died in an accident and her body was hidden somewhere, or a local pedophile took her and her body is buried locally. IF it turns out that I get ANY information that proves Madeleine was abducted or if any evidence turns up that points to her murder by a stranger, this information will go straight to the police and the McCanns. If Maddie was abducted and murdered by a child predator, I want justice for Maddie and I want that creep put away and I want other children to be safe from him.

My theory as I laid out in my Profile of the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann is just that; a theory. If evidence surfaces that changes my view of what happened to Madeleine, I have no problem disclosing this and adjusting my theory. Theories change based on available evidence; hence, they are called theories, not facts. Theories often change over time, even those postulated by law enforcement and the McCanns. Even Kate admits in her book, Madeleine, her theories of what happened that night have undergone change as she has spent more time analyzing the evidence or after receiving new information.

Why the McCanns had Carter-Ruck threaten Amazon with legal action to get a theory removed from public view is curious as it is only a theory, an opinion, one person's take on probabilities based on what is known at this point in time. Perhaps we will find out why they went to these lengths when the McCanns get on the witness stand in a court of law (when my lawsuit for libel and tortious interference with business makes it to court; I have retained prominent attorney Anne Bremner of Stanford Frey Cooper). Perhaps, then, they will explain why one person's opinion is so concerning they need to go to extremes to get have it silenced.

Madeleine McCann is the most recognized missing child in the world, with the most media attention of any missing child in the world. Unless I am mistaken, more money has been donated to finding Madeleine McCann than any child in the world. My Profile of the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann should hardly affect such a large and successful (moneywise) campaign; so one wonders if the real issue the McCanns have with my profile is that my theory might actually be correct.

I believe in Freedom of Speech. I don't object to the theories of others on cases even if they differ from mine. I don't even object to someone analyzing my theory and writing their opinion of it. I would never try to shut down their viewpoint (even when things are taken out of context and misrepresented in some way); I merely suggest that interested people go to the source and compare the two viewpoints and think for themselves about what theories and concepts are more supportable by evidence and logic.

The McCanns could simply have ignored this profiler's opinion on Madeleine's disappearance or made a statement that they do not think my analysis is very good. If the book was truly libelous as they claimed through their solicitors, Carter-Ruck, they should have informed me of this or sued me directly. Instead, they went behind the scenes and had the book pulled from the market. Inquiring minds wonder why.

I will be in Portugal in February to support Detective Amaral's fight against the McCanns in court, to begin search analysis, and to hear just what Gerry and Kate McCann have to say.

May the truth come out one day and justice for Madeleine McCann prevail.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you pat,i hope you succeed
in what your hoping to achieve.
Will you be sueing the mccanns in usa and is your attorney Anne Bremner ready to meet the fearfull
c.r,haha.Again good luck , i know you have a lot of followers who will be with you in spirit on this journey you are undertaking.

Johanna said...

I think the Huelva option is a dead end. The dogs arrived on the 30th July. The parents went to Huelva on the 3rd August. The search of the car happened at the 6th August. A neighbor of them at the villa told police that the car was aired for weeks. And to leave the dogs searching for 3 days before going to Huelva would be far too risky. They knew the dogs were coming. When Mark Harrison started to set up the parameters for the dogs search around the middle of July, the trips to the so called Triangle between Sagres, Budens and Raposeira.

Check this article (scroll down for English)
http://unterdenteppichgekehrt.blogspot.com/search?q=triangle

Pat Brown said...

Thanks, Anon. There is a lot at stake here in the arena of missing and murdered children. There has been a heartwarming rise in folks who care about crimes against children, but, there is also an increase of guilty people and criminal defense lawyers using the media as a tool to galvanize groups to protest their innocence, sway juries, and make huge sums of money through donations, television appearances, the sale of photos, books and movies. These people also make us skeptical of innocent parents whose children really WERE abducted and women who really WERE assaulted or kidnapped (as opposed to those seeking attention like Jennifer Wilbanks, the runaway bride or that lady in Canada who threw acid in her own face to become famous).

If free speech is shut down and those who questions high profile "victims" in the media can't speak up, then imposters will have free reign.

I don't know which category the McCanns fall into because there is not proof that they or anyone else is responsible for the disappearance of Madeleine. However, free speech allows us to analyze and discuss crime elements and behaviors and consider the possibilities. The McCanns have done so themselves, over and over, on television, on the Internet, and in Kate's book. They have theories as to who might have done something to Madeleine and how the PJ handled the case. If they have the right to free speech, so should other people.

The Rooster said...

Hi Pat, thank you, thank you, thank you. You give hope to what previously looked like a grid-locked situation. The McCanns should welcome the arrival of a professional. You deserve recognition for your efforts. I'm 110% behind you.
Cheers
The Rooster

Child Advocate said...

I wish you luck in your search for the truth. I find it odd that the McCanns have gone to such lengths to stop your book. If it were my child, I would challenge you to prove your theory is correct. After all, if innocent, perhaps during your search, you would find the real person/persons responsible. Instead, they choose to silence you. As I said, I find it odd. I admire your donating half the earnings to search for Madeline and other missing children. Keep up the good work. God Bless you.

Child Advocate said...

I wish you luck in your search for the truth. I find it odd that the McCanns have gone to such lengths to stop your book. If it were my child, I would challenge you to prove your theory is correct. After all, if innocent, perhaps during your search, you would find the real person/persons responsible. Instead, they choose to silence you. As I said, I find it odd. I admire your donating half the earnings to search for Madeline and other missing children. Keep up the good work. God Bless you.

Pat Brown said...

Johanna, you make some very good points. Huelva is just one possibility. Before I do any hands on searching, I have a lot of information to review and geography and geology to analyze. As I do more analysis, it may become clearer where efforts should go (and this can include a pedophile who has disposed of body).

I am looking forward to spending more time on this issue and seeing where it leads. Who knows? If there is startling new evidence that pops up that indicates Madeleine might be alive, I would happily pursue this (which has no bearing on Freedom of Speech and Tortious Interference with Business and the McCanns neglect of their children, obstructing the police investigation, and other concerning behaviors.)

Pat

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,
How can we help you?

Châtelaine said...

Dear Ms. Brown, Pat:-) if I may. Madeleine is dead. I've never doubted the cadaver & blood dogs' [Eddie & Keela] alerts.
If you need any money over and above your royalty share, let me know.

TJ said...

Hi Pat,

I'm so happy you have taken this on. The truth needs to come out - whatever it is. While I think this was was an accident that was covered up by the parents, I will be more than happy to see an investigation prove otherwise, as long as we find out what happened to Madeline, once and for all. Gerry McCann strikes me as a guy with a short fuse. I think he lost it with Maddie that day and she ended up dead. With Maddie gone, the parents decided it was much better to be the parents of an abducted child (sympathy factor), rather than face the shame (and loss of status) associated with a trial where Gerry is accused of manslaughter due to child abuse. Or it may be that they medicated Madeline and she did wake up alone, and was fatally injured while they were dining. Whatever happened, Kate and Gerry know more than what they are saying. The fact that they tried to have your book pulled from the market is telling. I think you hit a little to close to the mark and they can't allow that. We're all pulling for you to help solve this case. The McCanns should be grateful to have someone of your caliber and experience looking into this case.

Anonymous said...

Bravo Ms. Brown!

Your commitment to transparency with your fund is very refreshing in light of "Madeleine's fund" being used by her parents to pay their mortgage, themselves and family members' salaries, a battery of lawyers including one with anti-extradition expertise, etc. etc. etc.

I bought your book and have amply recommended it to friends. I am not well off but would gladly contribute more to your fund - it is high time somebody started actually turning over stones rather than posturing, as the McCanns continue to do.

Mexx

ModNrodder said...

Please remember, Madeleine Beth McCann. A missing child.

Not a political pinball and a tool for spite or to gain selfish publicity for those who seek martyrdom.

This is about finding a missing child, not contempt for that missing child's parents.

Anonymous said...

Modrod,
instead of the wishy-washy fake concern for Madeleine why don't you tell us what you think about the McCanns behavior, their constant need to silence whoever dares to question their version of the story? Do you approve their threatening of others tatics,via Carter-Ruck, do you think they are the only ones entitled to speak freely (and critically) of everyone they have a grudge on?

SteelMagnolia said...

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/screenshots/5march10.JPG

Nothing like hearing it straight from the horses mouth, McCanns that is, not yours Pat.

The McCanns aware the British Press had in their hands the police files. ALL about to be revealed as to why they were made arguidos.

Notice at this point Dr.McCann did not claim LIBEL if the files were published but concern that innocent lives would be placed at risk.

I think you should keep Dr.McCanns words very close to you at all times. I am sure your attorney if given the chance will be able to ask the McCanns at what juncture did the police files turn from results of an investigation into libel.

Also when you are in Portugal, try and speak with the cleaner who saw cots in separate rooms May 2nd. I am referring to Kate's book and her claim the 'abductor' visited the evening before to drug her children, one child at least would have been in the parents room...'surprised abductor' then to find all three children in the same room May 3rd !

Good Luck. xx

SteelMagnolia said...

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/screenshots/5march10.JPG

Nothing like hearing it straight from the horses mouth, McCanns that is, not yours Pat.

The McCanns aware the British Press had in their hands the police files. ALL about to be revealed as to why they were made arguidos.

Notice at this point Dr.McCann did not claim LIBEL if the files were published but concern that innocent lives would be placed at risk.

I think you should keep Dr.McCanns words very close to you at all times. I am sure your attorney if given the chance will be able to ask the McCanns at what juncture did the police files turn from results of an investigation into libel.

Also when you are in Portugal, try and speak with the cleaner who saw cots in separate rooms May 2nd. I am referring to Kate's book and her claim the 'abductor' visited the evening before to drug her children, one child at least would have been in the parents room...'surprised abductor' then to find all three children in the same room May 3rd !

Good Luck. xx

SteelMagnolia said...

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/screenshots/5march10.JPG

Not sure if I posted the link.

SteelMagnolia said...

Witness statement from the cleaner who saw cots May 2nd in separate rooms.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/5A_CLEANER.htm

Anonymous said...

Plenty of support for you in the UK Pat. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Pat
Your theories 2, 3 and 4 are just variations on the abduction theory. There are just two theories - abduction / died in the apartment. Many / most thinking people regard the abduction theory as a fraud so for me the interest is in how the denoument pans out. My theories are:
1. Confession - maybe when the twins leave home.
2. One of the Tapas 9 breaks rank possibly combined with 3.
3. Prosecution based on circumstantial evidence.
4. Body found - (unlikely) probably well hidden by now imo in the uk.
BEST OF LUCK.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Pat,

I wish you luck in your search for Madeleine McCann.

Given the $millions the McCanns have collected in public donations, I am astonished that they have never spent a dime,or taken part themselves, in a professionally organized search for their daughter. And, what's more, no one has ever asked why? After more than 4 years they are still collecting money but no one knows how it's spent because their company accounts are less than transparent. But, as I said, what we do know for a fact is, they have never once organized or paid for a search party which is something many other families of missing people have done.

I also wish you luck in your legal action. I'm sure you are aware of what you are letting yourself in for with these people - they are ruthless and will try and destroy anyone who questions their story.

KLGG said...

(Having lots of trouble trying to post here.)

Anyway, I see the McCanns recent behavior as red flags. Their devious way of attacking the book screams of criminal thinking. Clever, unconventional, sneaky. Their behaviors with the children was selfish and criminal - abandoning them while they went to a party. I think they prove that their thinking is devious enough to not only get rid of problem children when they want to party but to get rid of problem evidence when the children die by their negligence ....

Anonymous said...

Mr and Mrs Mccann will be so grateful that you are conducting a search for their missing little girl. It's a shame that it wasn't done long ago. What on earth have those who run the fund done with all the money? You would think a search would be a priority but, bizarrely, it's taken a US citizen to organise it.
Well done and I hope it is well publized.
Lauren

Anonymous said...

ModNrodder, your're not one of those weird guys that goes around the Internet accusing people who don't believe the McCanns of being 'Madeleine haters'are you?

It would be interesting to know exactly which supporters of the McCanns have taken it upon themselves to use the term 'Madeleine haters' against 'non-believers'of the McCanns because the opposite of 'hate' is 'love' and its a known fact amongs some FBI agents that.... ‘Nice Guy Molesters’ Believe They’re ‘Child Lovers’

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/11/17/nice-guy-molesters-believe-theyre-child-lovers/

David said...

Hi Pat,
I just want to know about that libel suit you have engaged against the Mccanns, in which court will it take place? UK court or USA court?