Saturday, November 1, 2008

Blood and Money on Horseshoe Bay

by Jenna Jackson

Horseshoe Bay is about 45 miles outside of Austin–
a slice of paradise in the Texas Hill Country. People with a lot of money move there when they are ready to relax in a private, gorgeous setting. Several celebrities, politicians, judges, NFL players live there. The police force generally deals with issues like speeding or boating after having too many drinks. Until November 2005, there hadn’t been a murder in this tiny community in 17 years.

That all chan
ged when police received a call on Monday, November 14, 2005. Charles Clinton White, a 73-year-old millionaire, was missing. Charlie (pictured above) hadn’t shown up for his regular golf game–and he hadn’t shown up to meet his jet for a planned trip to Dallas. When police arrived at his waterfront house, they discovered several of his friends gathered outside, all worrying. When investigators went inside, they found Charlie White–beaten to death and strangled.

Initially, there was a large pool of possible suspects for the police. Because of White’s reputation as a ladies’ man, there could be any number of women angry with him. But he was also in great shape for a man in his 70s, and this didn’t seem like a crime committed by a woman. But maybe it was a business deal gone bad, the police speculated–his briefcase had been dumped on top of his body. That was a tantalizing clue.

When they started digging into White’s life, the police found several extremely loyal friends–but they also did find many potential enemies. It turned out that some of the people angriest at Charlie White were (at least at one point) members of his family.

Through their intense investigation, the police discovered White’s killer within a matter of days–they arrested his youngest son, a good-looking 38-year-old ski instructor, Darin White. In one of the four angles of his mug shot, Darin is grinning like a little kid.

This may seem like a clear-cut case. But the arrest of Darin White was only the beginning of this case. Darin’s story began the real investigation into his life–and his father’s.

In my job as a producer for CBS News /48 Hours, I have covered this story for three years. I’ve gotten to know every person involved in this case: Darin, the police, the attorneys, the victim’s friends. I never would have guessed all the twists and turns this case would take. Through two trials, the little town of Horseshoe Bay (and especially all of the people involved in this case) have endured more than their share of exhaustion and drama. Definitely enough to last them another 17 years.

The case–and our show–finally has an ending. If you happen to be at home Saturday night at 10 p.m. ET, turn your television to CBS to watch a tale that involves very real people who have been through a very real drama . . . but one that is truly stranger than fiction. (And if you aren't home, DVR it for later!) Don't miss "Blood and Money on Horseshoe Bay." You won’t be disappointed. (And check out our
Web site for the inside scoop from correspondent Peter Van Sant.)

27 comments:

Kathryn Casey said...

Looking forward to it, Jenna. Got my DVR set.

Anonymous said...

Me too, cause by the time it comes on I will have had too many margaritas to watch TV much less remember it tomorrow. Sounds very intriguing.

Cynthia Hunt said...

I cannot wait to see how you weave this tale Jenna. That's why your episodes garner high ratings--you suck us in with astonishing real life characters and great story telling and we cannot turn the channel!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

LadySheila said...

Don't have a TV (no antenna or cable)that works so I rely on my pc...any chance this will be broadcast anywhere in cyber space...now, you got me so you know I have to watch it...maybe I'll go down to Sears!

Jenna Jackson said...

Thanks, girls, for all the comments! Definitely watch or record it -- it's a bizarre one. LadySheila, it won't be broadcast in cyberspace, but I'd be happy to send you a copy after it's aired ... and I think the transcripts are online once the show airs. xo

Vanessa Leggett said...

Terrific show, Jenna! Riveting interview with Darin White. Congrats!

LadySheila said...

Goody goody gumdrops, Jenna, you really are the best! I can't wait. You have my email address, so, I will be waiting for instructions! Oh, I'm so excited!! Thank you! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great program Jenna. I am not sure how I feel about Darin White.

Anonymous said...

I think he should have pled self defense. His father was an evil person.Gteat show.!!

Jan C said...

Jenna,

This was a great episode. 48 Hours is one of my favorite shows and this didn't disappoint.

I was left with mixed feelings after watching. The victim was not easy to empathize with, in many ways it felt like he got what he deserved.

However, I can't get the image of Darin out of my head where he says he's not a murderer. I kept thinking; Well, yeah. You are. Darin made himself judge and jury of his father, then killed him. Regardless of how abusive his dad was to him, killing Charlie was only one option. And an illegal one at that. Darin could have walked away at any time and he didn't.

Whether it was because he was seduced by the money or whether he truly thought he could earn his father's love, it doesn't matter. He still stayed. And ultimately took his father's life.

Twenty years in prison, ten if he's good, doesn't seem like much of a price to pay. I hope the conviction keeps Darin from inheriting any of his father's money.

Kathryn Casey said...

Great show, Jenna. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wait! I forgot to set my DVR! Will it air again?

Soobs said...

It's a shame that when women stay with abusers, there is sympathy. When a child yearns for their parent's love (the first and most intimate relationship one can have - between parent and child) and doesn't get it, there are questions why "they stayed."

Obviously, Darin would have been better served if he had left the house, never to return. But that was one dysfunctional family. I hope he gets out soon.

Soobs said...

Sorry, I meant to add that it was a great show, Jenna, thanks!

Anonymous said...

You make a lot of sense SOOBS.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna, thanks for the picture. It will come in handy, soon.

Anonymous said...

you know Darins brother Lances death was not ruled a suicide at first. Maybe some one should look into this.?????

Anonymous said...

i am amazed at what people call an abuser.... when he is not there to defend himself. did people not see darin's mug shot when he was smiling, then later the crocodiles tears to save his neck....
and his brother Lance never commited suicide and never called charlie de day before he died.Lance was shot on his mother property by a woman(neighbor who fled to vegas) but funny enough darin was there.....like he was there when his sister left through the back door and got run over by a truck . coincidences!Charlie was murder because he didn't die fast enough and enjoy his life too much whoa big crime....

Anonymous said...

God what a bunch of idiots!

Anonymous said...

I saw this program for the this evening and oh my gosh how depressing the whole thing was. I do not condone what Darin did to his sperm donor. But with that being said I do have to say this despicable person really needed to work on his humanity and fatherly skills. I sure hope Darin gets outof prison soon.

The Sidewinder said...

No! The was an abuser in the worst way possible
He also ad an ego and a sense of entitlement bigger than Texas. I've read up on this DUDE and have watched several documentaries about him. The dude assumed that because he had money, he could just waltz into any place and grope some lady who appealed to his fancy du'noir'. Should she object, he'd call her derogatory names and in some cases, slap, shove or push her forcefully. I guess he thought he was such a great "catch",they should have been flattered and would gladly oblige. He didn't even have the decency to take his floozies to hotel but would take them back his home, WHICH HE SHARED with his wife. Thankfully for her, she finally divorced the POS! If he would shove slap and shove strangers, imagine what he did to his wife and kids. And you have the AUDACITY to say he's not an abuser??? Were you one of his golfing buddies?

Anonymous said...

Charlie White was a predator. I know this because I was one of his young victims. He preyed on women with low self esteem. He was relentless in his pursuit of another piece of ass. He was a sick twisted disgusting pervert. EVIL. The world is better off without him. Oh, the stories I could tell.

gracegirl said...

I too was late to watch this,2023. I agree completely with everything you said. The sad mentality of 2008,siding with a savagely abusive parent. Thankfully,things have progressed a bit. There's a comment below from one of his female victims. I hope Darin and his wife have a beautiful life!!

Anonymous said...

Jenna Jackson I'm the son of Sondra Dilda the woman Darin murdered an got away with in 1993. Contact me ASAP 904-888-5950

Anonymous said...

He murdered my mother in 93 an got away with it

Anonymous said...

So his father was terrible? That's reason enough to kill him? Not the first time Darin murdered someone..